“The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.” (Becoming a Nation of Readers: The Report of the Commission on Reading)
Auglaize County Libraries now features a Read-Along collection in which audio + print are bound together and available for checkout for a multi-sensory reading experience! Our Read-Along collection features Playaway Wonderbooks.
What is a Wonderbook?
- Wonderbooks are read-along print books with a ready-to-play audiobook built inside. These books can be used with or without headphones and are available in picture book, easy reader, nonfiction, and chapter book formats.
- Research shows that hearing and seeing words at the same time can improve reading success rates. Wonderbooks give kids an edge with vocabulary development, phonics, and comprehension.
- Each Wonderbook also comes with a Learning Mode to switch on after reading along. Learning Mode features fun, narrator-led questions and answer session, open-ended educator-vetted questions about the story the just read, and a powerful way to teach parents how to dialogue with their kids about books.
How does it work?
- Wonderbooks are currently available at all six of the Auglaize County Libraries.
- Browse and select the Wonderbook you are interested in and place a hold through the catalog by clicking here.
- Pick up when notified.
- Wonderbooks come ready to play. Just turn on, press play, and follow along. You can also switch the mode from reading to learning mode to be asked literacy-based questions for comprehension and follow up for each book.
Who can get one?
- Patrons of any age may place a hold or checkout a Wonderbook.
- You must have a valid Auglaize County Library Card and be in good standing.
May I return the Wonderbooks in the bookdrop?
- Yes, Wonderbooks can be returned to any of the Auglaize County Library locations’ bookdrops or libraries
How long may I keep the Wonderbook?
- The loan period is two weeks.
- Devices may be renewed one time if there are no outstanding holds on the item.
- Patrons will be limited to three Wonderbooks at a time per card.
- Devices will start out fully charged. Return book(s) to the library to recharge if needed.
What if I break or lose the Wonderbook?
- You are responsible for loss or damage to the Wonderbook.
- Any damage/or lost item(s) will be assessed a fee based on the cost to replace the damaged or lost item(s).
What kinds of Wonderbooks do you have?
- We currently have over 280 Read-Alongs in the collection, with more on the way! Check out the catalog and place a hold by Clicking Here!